The online music course “Swedish folk music PRO” consists of
- 7 modules packed with knowledge that makes you a part of the folk community.
- 36 lessons which you can see how many times you like.
- More than 50 (!) tunes to learn!
- Comprehensible step-by-step methods and assignments that take you to the goal..
- Deepening understanding and knowledge in a melody player’s perspective on trad music.
- 3 opportunities to support during the course.
- Access to the course portal for 7 months so that you can complete the course in your own pace.
After having completed the course, you will
- know the basics of the 5 most common types of tunes so you can play them traditionally.
- be able to play more than 50 (!) fantastic tunes that you can play together with other musicians.
- know to decode the fiddler’s playing as fast as other fiddlers and how to translate the fiddler’s playing to your instrument.
- have developed a music pattern hearing to more efficient learn new tunes.
- learned ornaments that suit your instrument and the music in order to sound traditional.
Content of the course
Read below what you are going to learn during the course.
Module 1 – Start directly!
You will start by building confidence in yourself as a beginner in Swedish folk music. In addition, you will enter the community and learn where to find and learn tunes that suit your level.
Module 2 – Types of tunes
In the second module you will start focusing on learning and identifying tunes in the 5 most common folk styles by the characteristics that the styles have, for example stamp and characteristic features.
Module 3 – Music patterns
In this module you will make your hearing more efficient by quit hearing tone-to-tone. Instead, you will replace it by start creating a music pattern hearing. It will make you faster to learn new tunes.
Module 4 – Traditional expressions
The fourth module will give you tools on start sounding as a Swedish folk musician by developing for example swinging tones, phrasing and ornaments.
Module 5 – Folk music and sheet music
This module will make you independent in your development and regardless of whether you have other trad musicians nearby who can teach you tunes, by being able to read and interpret music sheets on your own.
Module 6 – Decoding and translating the fiddle/the violin
This module is important since you will learn how to decode the fiddle as fast as other fiddlers. In addition, you will also learn how to translate the fiddle to your own instrument.
Module 7 – Building your repertoire
In this last module, you will simply expand your repertoire of Swedish folk tunes. The tunes will be the same styles that you learned in Module 2.
- How to decode and translate the playing of Swedish folk guitarists and Swedish key harpists.
- Learn 5 styles of gammaldans, so you develop to be even more flexible as a folk musician.